Thursday, September 13, 2007

Tallulah is torturing me

Today when I pick Tallulah up from school she hugs her teacher, waves goodbye to two friends, hugs a third friend, recites the s-words she learned with her teacher (and they aren't the s-words she picks up when hanging around with me, thank goodness!), and skips to the car humming a new song.

Then we get in the car for the 20 minute ride home and this is the conversation:
"What did you do today, Tallulah?"
"I don't want to tell you right now."
"Um, ok. Who did you play with?"
"I said, I don't want to tell you right now."

a few minutes later...
"So, what did you play with today?"
"Nothing"
"You didn't play with any toys?"
"Nope"
"Did you play outside?"
"I don't know"
"What friends did you play with?" Lilly? Brooke? Vincent?
"Nope. Nobody."
"You sat all by yourself, not playing with anybody or anything?"
"Why you keep asking me?"

She's THREE!! How can anyone torture their mother this badly at age THREE? Now, I know she's having fun at school because she's happy to go and affectionate with her teacher and classmates, but I want to know what she's doing! Her teacher tells me things are fine and Tallulah is fitting in nicely, but I want to know all sorts of things-- who does she gravitate towards? what kind of activities? Is she outgoing? Friendly? Well-liked? Is she the kid who sits in the corner picking and eating her boogers while the other kids groan and complain? Because my kid could easily go either way.