Sunday, September 2, 2007

Block 'O' Cookie

Sundays, Kent, Tallulah, and I go out to breakfast and then do our weekly grocery shopping but today we were all party hungover from a Tallulah's friend, Owen's, birthday party. Tallulah had been so excited from the party she didn't sleep until 11pm and I think I was dehydrated from the heat of the park and Kent stayed up late reading his D&D manuals, so this morning we just had breakfast at home and stumbled to the grocery store around 10.

We started this whole breakfast-and-groceries thing when Tallulah was going through her "I won't sit still in the grocery cart and I want to pull every item off them shelves" phase as a sanity preserver for me, the primary shopper. Its evolved into a nice little ritual. But this morning, Tallulah was still sleep deprived and making outrageous demands like "I want that bouquet of Spongebob balloons!" and "Lets get lots of donuts and eat them forever!" After her third round at the apple pie samples, the free cookie at the bakery, the corned beef slice from the deli, and a few temper tantrums in between, Daddy decided her naptime should begin immediately upon returning home. Which I was cool with-- it obviously needed to happen-- but by the time I put away the groceries, had a snack and settled down for my own nap, it was almost seconds before Tallulah was up with her normal bright and shiny, "entertain me" demeanor. Grrr.

So here I am, stumbling around for the rest of the day, sleep deprived, crampy with back aches and Braxton Hicks contractions, and counting the minutes to bedtime.

Which brings me to today's nomination for Worst Mom of the Year Award.

So I'm trying to figure out a relatively healthy, extremely easy meal to make for my crew when Tallulah discovers a centuries old box of graham crackers. "I have these, mommy?" Sure, why not. So I hand her one of the rectangled packages of cookies thinking she'd spend some time figuring out how to open it, grab a couple, and be satiated until dinner. Hah.

I look over at her a few minutes later and she has chewed a hole into the wax packaging and is gnawing at the cookie crumbs within. I take the package from her, open them, and hand them back without comment.

Which leads to this:


The best part is, she doesn't want the crumbs, she wants the satisfaction of chomping into block 'o' cookie, so after every bite, she shakes the crumb destruction left over from her bite onto the floor.
Don't bother asking if I stopped her or took away the block'o'cookie. You know I didn't.