Saturday, January 5, 2008

Time moves erratically

Moxie, unlike Tallulah as a baby, has a pattern and schedule. Every hour and a half to two hours she goes through a cycle: Wake up, eat, look around and kick and coo a bit, then get crabby needing to fall asleep, moving and rocking to fall asleep, sleep.

Wake up, repeat.

But time keeps doing weird things. Like yesterday, I was at a friend's house, nursed Moxie before we left and a couple minutes after we got home, she was hungry again. She can't be hungry, I thought. But then I thought about what really happened: Nursed Moxie (20 minutes)
Grabbed my diaper bag, found keys and phone, wrestled shoes and socks onto Tallulah and hustled her out the door (15 minutes)
Strapped Moxie into her seat, chased Tallulah off the front yard tree swing and into her seat (10 minutes)
Drive home (20 minutes)
FPL trimming the Oak tree in front of my house. Take Tallulah to look at the guys tied to the high branches and the wood chipper (10 minutes)
Tuck Tallulah into bed for her nap with a story and a song (15 minutes)
Moxie wakes up, ready to eat.
Total time elapsed: 1 and 1/2 hour

So I keep trying to do things, simple things, like spend time with Tallulah or write this blog in between feedings and rocking/walking Moxie to sleep. But then she starts doing cute baby things like cooing and babbling and I can't miss that, can I? So, the bottom line is, I keep getting surprised by the speed and whimsy of the clock. And I can't get anything done.