Monday, January 7, 2008

I'm a person again! And Moxie is turning into one!

This week marks the six week postpartum point. Which means, working out is back in and sex is back on the table. Not literally--figuratively as in, medically approved.

So to celebrate I went to strollerobics and I feel great! Tallulah is back in school, I've got an endorphin high, and to top it all off, Moxie gave me a great big smile-- her first!-- in the middle of the sit-ups portion if class. This whole recovery from childbirth is going smoothly. I can tell that it is much different from my recovery from Tallulah because of the little old ladies.

Little old ladies have been mobbing me everywhere I go.
"Oh, she's beautiful. Let me tell you about my grandchildren."
"Oh, so tiny. Here's a picture of my three year old grandson."
Then they come at me and my tiny, beautiful baby with their grandma claws-- and they don't care if she's sleeping or in a swaddle or even nursing. Just today, I was having lunch while Moxie had lunch and a grandma came up to me, had a discussion about-- what else-- her grandchildren, comented on my nursing my daughter, "Oh, it makes them so healthy-- all my granchildren were nursed" then reached for the blanket covering my slurping daughter and naked breast. Are you kidding, lady?

I carry my babies in a sling and with Tallulah I felt that the sling helped delineate my dancing space. As in, my baby is attached to me, so you need my permission to touch. But it turns out that a much more effective force field was my harried look, unwashed hair, and ability to burst into tears at the approach of a stranger. Cuz these ladies don't care if my sling is strapping my child to my chest, my breast, I could probably strap her to my ass and they would still be trying to grab a handful.

The best were these two encounter:
*The drunk woman at a holiday party who bemoaned the fact that Moxie was sleeping because, "I just want to hold that little thing, squeeze her and cuddle her!" Like I'm going to pass my baby around at a party full of DRUNKS.
*The little old lady at brunch who said these memorable words, "Enjoy them while they're little like this. Soon enough they'll just grow up, tear your heart out, and leave you."

I should hook those two ladies up. And stop washing my hair.