Thursday, October 9, 2008

Hot Guy Day

It was hot guy day at the grocery store today. Usually the days I go are old people day which is fine because Moxie loves to flirt with the little old ladies-- she lights up when they call her pretty. Shallow baby. But today was hot guy day and it's weird for me on a few levels.

First, if they're under 25, I automatically rate their suitability to date my daughters. Especially Indie teenagers with pencil jeans and black floppy hair. I imagine their sullen looks when they come to pick Tallulah or Moxie up, Tallulah's anguished, melodramatic pronouncements, "I'm in lo-ove, mom, you don't understand!" I imagine Moxie matching cool-for-cool, "Yeah, he's ok. He wants me to go to prom but, I don't know, it seems kind of lame." I picture the cute clean cut boys picking up the girls, calling Kent 'sir' and telling me they know where my daughters got their looks from. While I wander the grocery aisle I practice my look: "I know you're going to try to get my daughter drunk and keep her out past her curfew and that's why we have GPS tracking implanted in her hip and an automatic rifle in the closet." It's a lot to get across in one look, so I practice now.

But the older hot guys I find even more disconcerting. I compare all of them with my husband or with guys I went to high school. Like today there was a tall blonde guy checking out ahead of me with his 4 year old son. Instead of keeping it simple and admiring his ass, I'm analyzing his parenting skills and wondering where his baby mama was. Is he taking the kid so she can have the morning off? Is he raising his son by himself? Did he just give his kid a chocolate bar? Because these things influence how hot I think he is. And this is crazy because parenting skills should only affect hotness level when it comes to my husband. But it affects how I view every man of baby-making age (I know this could potentially be a wide range. I'm thinking late 20's to late 40's. Not Palin's soon to be son in law or Sean Connery) Am I alone here? Like when Brad Pitt left Jennifer Aniston for Angelina, his hotness points dropped significantly. Jennifer may not be my ideal woman, but to leave her for a blood drinking Billy Bob Thornton cast-off? Yuck. But then they had babies and his hotness factor went back up again. Higher than ever. Actually, strike that. There's nothing higher on the hotness scale than the low riding pants he wore in Fight Club. But you get my point.

Anyway, I was musing about the intricacy of male hotness for a mom while I loaded up my groceries and I noticed Moxie making eyes at an older guy getting into the car next to us. He was in his 60's or 70's and making smiley googly eyes at Moxie to make her giggle. "Watch out," I said. "She's an incorrigible flirt."

"Just the way I like them." He said. "Only maybe a little older."

There is no subtlety or intricacy to the male mind.