Thursday, October 30, 2008

Dinnertime and the livin' is easy

So I'm making dinner (right now in fact-- look at me multi-task). The sauce for the fish is boiling down, the fish is in the oven, the salad is on the table, and the veggies are roasting next to the fish. I start chopping dinner for Moxie: papaya is her latest fave and I've got a big bowl of that plus some chopped pears and I'll give her a little naked fish for protein. And chopping all this stuff is making me remember Monday night, Kent's cooking night, when we were all set to sit down at the table for dinner and I innocently ask, what's Moxie having? And he gives one of those 'Oh shit!' looks, then promptly grabs the box of cheerios and dumps a handful on her tray. "Done!" he pronounces.

I was kind of debating going for a run after dinner-- I have a headache and the cool weather makes me want to slouch around in my house with my socks on, drinking tea and being cuddly with my babes. But now I'm definitely going and let me tell you why: my health and well-being is very important to my family. Because if I die young from a heart attack or cookie-induced glaucoma, my kids are gonna be living on a diet of cheerios and Twizzlers. And I won't have that.