Monday, May 26, 2008

I am in your kitchen eating your quiche

Today I made an awesome dinner. I get recipes from the website, allrecipes.com which is a great website. People post their favorite recipes and then when people make them, they write a review and give it a number of stars. So when I'm looking for a particular recipe, say, quiche (like tonight) I type in the name of the recipe and then sort it by ratings, best rating first. I also will search according to ingredients I have in the fridge (jar of artichokes, can of condensed milk) and up will pop recipes using those ingredients. I like to read the reviews people make because some people are crazy. Like they'll write "this recipe was great. I just added milk, took out the butter, added thyme, basil, and oregano, cooked it for three times longer than the recipe said and added toasted pinenuts to the sauce." Umm, see, now that is just plain a different recipe. But they'll still give the original recipe five stars.

It makes me think of a friend of mine-- Sara-- who does the same thing. "Well, I like that idea. How about we do the same exact thing except..." and then she makes a new plan. Or "It's great you will plan that event. How about I research where to hold it, figure out who will go and what time to be there and make the reservations." Sigh.

Anyway.

I went on allrecipes.com today and up popped a spinach quiche recipe with 585 people rating it 5 stars. They all pretty much said this was the shz-zit of quiches. So I sauteed the spinach (frozen spinach, mind you, how good can that be?) in the butter, onions, and garlic and ohmagod. The greatest thing came out of my saute pan. Heaven. For real. Then I added feta cheese, put it in a crust, poured milk and eggs on top and heaven went to heaven. The best part about this recipe is that I could have stopped with just the spinach. I could have eaten the entire pan of sauteed spinach for dinner and in the future I will be making this as a side dish often. As often as I can justify that much butter in a meal.

If you are salivating, the recipe is here