Monday, November 17, 2008

womanly advice

Tonight I was googling sugar addiction because I'm pretty sure I have it and I found this pretty amazing site about how to balance life as a mom and caregiver with maintaining a sense of self. I'm a total sucker for this kind of thing-- I love flipping through Oprah's O magazine even if I have to roll my eyes every other page as she leads the reader through a maze of 'reasonably priced splurges' at $200 per 'must-have' cashmere sweater or affirmations to run ten miles and get a pedicure during lunch.

Then, because I was on a roll of finding helpful womanly advice, I checked out Gwyneth Paltrow's newsletter/website. And damn, was that a mistake.

What is wrong with Gwynnie? Has she been hanging out with Oprah too much? I mean, what could her thought process be? Gee, Oprah, you haven't acted since the Color Purple. All you do is sit around and tell people how awesome they could be if they were like you. Hmm....I'm awesome. I don't want to act and be away from my rockstar husband and oddly named children. I should tell people how to be like me!

So now I'm in a ridiculously bad mood. First, I'm realizing that I should cut the sugar out of my diet which makes me very very crabby. Second, I'm pissed off at Gwyneth for telling me that I can be just like her when I obviously can't. I have no Oscar winning actress mom or hunky actor dad, my husband is not a multimillion dollar rock star, and I don't, when I choose to work, get paid three million dollars to make out with hunky actors. But according to Gwyneth, I should not "be lazy" or "be passive" about my life. Thanks, Gwyneth, I'll keep that in mind. Here's some advice right back at you: if you can't write worth a shit, don't lecture via the written word.

Sigh. I think I'll take the first step towards de-sugaring my house and finish the Ben & Jerry's in the freezer.