Saturday, November 8, 2008

Broccoli Blues

It's 6:20 am and I've slept approximately 20 minutes all night in part because Moxie is uncomfortable and restless and in part because I get anxiety insomnia. I lay in bed and think about how I'm not getting any sleep and I have to work in the morning and how am I going to get through the day without any rest and why can't my babies sleep at night and whatever happened about that amendment about preserving land and oh my god the last episode of Desperate Housewives, Gabriel is hilarious this season and so much more relatable and do I have anything to pack for lunch and are my library books overdue....so on and so on ALL NIGHT LONG.

And I blame this on broccoli. We gave Moxie broccoli Thursday for dinner, right before Kent and I had a date night to do karaoke-- something we've been planning a long time but never seem to manage. We've given Moxie broccoli before and vaguely remembered some stink issues, but we figured it would hit the following day and not while Moxie was being watched by grandma. Poor grandma.

By the time we got to the grandparents house there was a definite odor emenating from our dear, sweet baby. Passing her off to grandma, she wrinled her nose and said, "someone's poopy." It's against my morality to hand off a poopy child, so I whisked Moxie away and began to change her diaper only to discover no poop. Just really really stinky broccoli pee. When I went back out to the living room, I discovered that the smell had lingered. It was now covering the living room and bathroom, drifting in Moxie's wake where ever she crawled. By the time Kent and I left, we were fleeing to escape the smell. Poor poor grandma.

This is only the second time we've left Moxie with the grandparents and, although they have always insisted that our babies are angels, even through Tallulah's constant screaming, I think the broccoli pee tested grandma's angel theory. I don't think any religion describes angels bearing that smell.

Anyway, we're still dealing with broccoli fallout. The broccoli pee made Moxie's bottom sore so she can't sleep and needs to keep us informed of her broccoli status throughout the night.

I don't even like broccoli.