Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My Mom Body

I haven't been blogging lately because it seems I can only concentrate on one thing at a time and this month it's been my mom body. I told myself I would lose the baby weight by the time Moxie was a year old and of course she's 14 months now and I'm still wa-ay past my weight goals. And my birthday is looming. I'm going to be 35-- I'm moving out of the 25-34 check box and into 35-4..... how high up into the forties does the check box go? Never mind, I don't want to know.

I remember once in high school looking at myself in the mirror and thinking, "if my stomach ever protrudes past my hipbones, just shoot me because it's all downhill after that." I don't know if my stomach protruded past my hipbones the day before I realized I was pregnant with Tallulah, but I certainly know it did the day after. The minute I became pregnant my body started retaining water, calories, and gas like I was a human bomb shelter.

I've been overweight since that first pregnancy and I keep vacillating between "enjoy life. It's only ten pounds." and "I'm overweight and middle age is creeping up on me." The thing is, I love to exercise. I'm pretty fit, I just weigh too much. And overweight has been linked to increased risk for diabetes, heart disease, sweat pants as formal wear...

My goals are modest. I no longer want hipbones that protrude past my belly button. I just want verification that my hipbones still exist.